What is the Red Maca?
Red Maca also is known as Lepidium peruvianum/Lepidium meyenii is a powerful but rarest herb in all varieties. It is identified with its pink or purple color. Just like other common types of plants, it grows under similar conditions as well as in the same region. Its unique properties make it the best maca of choice.
Maca has significantly gained popularity over the past few years. And after two years of trial, it has been my favorite variety because of the high potency and its credible taste.
How is Maca Different?
It is quite easy to differentiate between the red, black, and yellow maca just before roots turns into powder. When you visit the farm, you’ll realize that each root has a slight difference in color.
The high quality organically grown maca powders have a similar nutritional profile. However, phytonutrient has shown that red variety has higher compounds that help the body in antioxidant and antitumoral activity. Among all other macas, it also contains some high level of other phytonutrients such as steroids, saponins, tannins, alkaloids.
How does Red Maca taste?
Taste is another significant difference between red maca and black and yellow/cream Macas. Its taste is more gentle and mild. Therefore, one can identify taste to be similar to subtle caramel. We even recently saw a review from a customer saying her kid has developed interest on red maca on oatmeal in favor of sugar due to its sweetness.
Studies Done on Red Maca
Medical professionals are developing more interest in maca research studies. So there are three major notable studies done particularly on Red Maca study. The red variety maca considered as the most important study was published in the Journal Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology 2005; 3:5.this is in 42 days.
The study under the phytochemical analysis for seven functional nutrient group reports that Red Maca reduces ventral prostate in rats and not black, or yellow/cream Maca. Similarly, the report suggests that Red Maca recorded the highest peak value, while Yellow/Cream Maca shown the average and low cost for Black Maca.
The researchers from Universidad Peruana, Lima researched in 2010 and published a study showing the effects of Maca on rat’s bone structure after removing their ovaries. Both Red and Black Maca have proved to have protective effects in OVX rats with no estrogenic on uterine weight.
The other study done in 2009 from the same University, shows that Black Maca increases sperm production more than Red or Yellow Maca. Red Maca has a favorable effect on sexual desire and energy mood as it increases the volume of sperm produced when compared to yellow/cream or black Maca.
How Can Red Maca Support Vibrant Health?
- Red, Black, and Yellow/Cream Maca does the following:
- Support sex drive and a healthy libido
- Boost the overall energy and vitality
- Balances the hormones for men and women
- Essential for women and children in bone density
- Red Maca helps in prostate protection for men over 40 years
Nutritional Breakdown of Red Maca
Sample Size 100g: Protein 17.9g, Fat 0.82g, Carbohydrates 62.6g, Fiber 5.3g
1. Protein Components (%): True Protein 42.1, Prolamins 10.6, Glutelins 15.3, Albumins & Globulins 74
2. Vitamin & Minerals (mg %): Potassium 113, Magnesium 70, Phosphorous 320, Sodium 20, Calcium 490, Baron 12, Ascorbic Acid 3.52, Niacin 43, Iron 80, Zinc 32, Thiamine 0.42, Riboflavin 0.61
3. Amino Acid: Glutamatic Acid 156, Asparatic Acid 91.7, Arginine 99.4, Isoleucine 47.4, Hystidine 21.9, HO-Proline 26, Glycine 68.3, Alanine 63.1, Threonine 33.1, Serine 50.4, Sarcosine 0.7, Proline 0.5, Phenylalanine 55.3, Methionine 28, Lysine 54.5, Leucine 91, Valine 79.3, Tyrosine 30.6